Poppy Montgomery, a remarkable Australian-American actress, has left an indelible mark on the entertainment industry with her iconic portrayal of Samantha on the TV series “Without A Trace.” While she initially gained fame as a television star, Poppy is now stepping into a new role behind the scenes as a producer.
RELATED: Who is Debby Clarke Belichick? All About Bill Belichick’s ex-wife
But what lies behind her path to success? In this comprehensive profile, we will delve into all aspects of the actress’s life, including her background, her relationship with her siblings, her love life, her journey as a mother, and her memorable roles in various films. Join us as we explore the captivating journey of Poppy Montgomery.
|Full Name||Poppy Petal Emma Elizabeth Deveraux Donaghue|
|Famous as||Poppy Montgomery|
|Date of Birth||15th June 1972|
|Age||51 years old|
|Place of Birth||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Siblings||4 sisters & 1 brother|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Hair Colour||Dirty Blonde|
|Profession||Actress & Producer|
|Net Worth||$8 million|
Who is Poppy Montgomery?
oppy Montgomery is an Australian-American actress known for her prominent roles in television series. Born as Poppy Petal Emma Elizabeth Deveraux Donaghue, she gained fame for her portrayal of FBI agent Samantha Spade on the CBS drama ‘Without a Trace.’
RELATED: Who is Nina Altuve? All About José Altuve’s wife
She also took on the role of Detective Carrie Wells in the CBS/A&E police drama ‘Unforgettable’ from 2011 to 2016. Montgomery has made a significant mark in the world of television with her compelling performances.
How old is Poppy Montgomery?
As of June 2023, Poppy Montgomery is 51 years old. The blonde actress was born on June 15, 1972, in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. She celebrated her 51st birthday on June 15, 2023.
Poppy Montgomery had a turbulent relationship with formal education, which led to her being expelled from six private academies. Eventually, at the age of 15, she made the decision to drop out of school altogether. Her departure from academia was motivated by a desire to explore stage acting and embark on a journey to Bali with her then-boyfriend.
At 18, Montgomery emigrated to the United States, initially landing in Florida to be with a boyfriend she had met when he was an exchange student. However, after just five days, she realized that she couldn’t tolerate the relationship. As a result, she made a bold move and took a bus to Los Angeles to pursue her dream of establishing a career in acting.
Is Poppy Montgomery Phil Donahue daughter?
No, Poppy Montgomery is not Phil Donahue’s daughter. The two are not related, and there is no familial connection between them. Poppy Montgomery was born in Sydney, Australia, to her parents Phil Donahue, an Australian restaurateur, and Nicola Montgomery, a successful market research executive.
Montgomery’s upbringing in Sydney was marked by a rebellious phase during her teenage years, leading to her expulsion from multiple private schools. She has always been outspoken, opinionated, and independent, qualities that didn’t align with the expectations of those schools.
Poppy Montgomery siblings
Poppy Montgomery and her siblings have unique names, each inspired by different sources. In their household, the tradition was to name their children after flower fairies from a children’s book, while their older brother was named after their parents’ favorite rock band. Poppy, the actress, is the second oldest among her siblings. Here’s a list of Poppy Montgomery’s siblings, from oldest to youngest:
- Jethro Tull
- Poppy Petal
- Rosie Thorne
- Lily Belle
- Daisy Yellow
- Marigold Sun
Who is Poppy Montgomery husband?
Poppy Montgomery is married to Shawn Sanford, a Microsoft executive. They began dating in 2011 and secretly tied the knot on February 19, 2014, at Disneyland. The unique wedding ceremony was later revealed by Montgomery on April 4 during an appearance on the “LIVE with Kelly & Michael” show.
RELATED: Who is Danielle Wright? All About Nick Wright’s wife
She shared that they got married on Chinese New Year and celebrated with a ceremony officiated by Minnie and Mickey Mouse. In a departure from traditional weddings, the couple chose a casual attire, with both wearing jeans. Their intimate wedding didn’t include any friends or family members.
How many children does Poppy Montgomery have?
When Shawn and Poppy met at a Puerto Rican event in 2011, they had a total of three children between them. Shawn had two kids from a previous marriage, while Montgomery had her son from her previous relationship with Adam Kaufman. Prior to her marriage to Sanford, the actress-producer was in a relationship with Buffy The Vampire Slayer star Adam Kaufman for seven years, from 2004 to 2011.
During their time together, Poppy Montgomery and Adam Kaufman welcomed their first child. The star announced her pregnancy in July 2007, and five months later, in December, Jackson Phillip Deveraux Montgomery Kaufman was born. Fans of Without A Trace may recall seeing her pregnant with her first child on the show, as the writers incorporated her real-life pregnancy into the series.
Despite their separation, the actress and her former partner remain excellent co-parents.
“I think it’s really important for kids to see adults working things out. They look at what we do rather than what we say,” Poppy Montgomery stated. Adam has since remarried, and his stepchildren are the same age as my stepchildren, so we are all really close.
Poppy Montgomery’s children with her husband Shawn Sanford include:
- Violet Grace Deveraux Sanford – Born on April 22, 2013. Unlike her pregnancy with Jackson, the actress only gained 40 pounds this time instead of the previous 70-plus pounds she gained with her first baby. Violet arrived two weeks early, and the actress had to undergo a C-section.
- Gus Monroe Deveraux Sanford – Gus was born on November 11, 2014, in Los Angeles. He weighed seven lbs., four oz., and measured 20.5 inches long.
Poppy Montgomery net worth
Poppy Montgomery has accumulated substantial wealth throughout her career. As of 2023, her estimated net worth is around $8 million. In addition to her acting endeavors, Montgomery has invested in real estate.
One notable real estate transaction occurred in January 2017 when she listed her 7,800-square-foot Pacific Palisades home for sale at approximately $4.985 million. This traditional-style residence features five bedrooms and four and a half bathrooms. The property was subsequently purchased by American actress and dancer Bree Turner. Montgomery’s financial success extends beyond her acting roles and includes her real estate ventures.
Was Poppy pregnant during Unforgettable?
Poppy Montgomery was taken by surprise when she heard that “Unforgettable” was returning from cancellation. She shared her initial disbelief during an appearance on “The Late Show With David Letterman,” stating, “Well, I didn’t believe them. I thought it was a joke.
I thought it was a gag because I’ve never heard of a show getting uncanceled.” She humorously compared it to a resurrection, saying, “It was like someone died and then they came and knocked on my door and said ‘Surprise!’ Which was fantastic. Yes, they said, ‘We’re bringing you back.’”
However, there was a challenge: Poppy Montgomery was pregnant at the time. She feared that the delay in shooting due to her pregnancy might lead to the reversal of the revival decision. Despite her concerns, the revival proceeded, and just two and a half weeks after giving birth, Montgomery returned to work, reprising her role as Carrie Wells on “Unforgettable.”
RELATED: Who is Charles Barkley’s Wife? All About Maureen Blumhardt
Poppy Montgomery movies and TV shows
Poppy Montgomery’s acting career has spanned various films and television shows, showcasing her talent and versatility. Here’s a list of her notable film and television appearances:
- 1994: “Tammy and the T-Rex” as Party Girl No. 1
- 1995: “Devil in a Blue Dress” as Barbara’s Sister
- 1996: “The Cold Equations” as Marilyn ‘Lee’ Cross
- 1998: “Dead Man on Campus” as Rachel
- 1999: “The Other Sister” as Caroline Tate
- 1999: “Life” as Older Mae Rose Abernathy
- 2000: “Men Named Milo, Women Named Greta” as Barri Noodleman (Short film)
- 2004: “How to Lose Your Lover” as Allison
- 2005: “Between” as Nadine Roberts
- 2021: “Christmas on the Farm” as Clementine ‘Emmy’ Jones (telemovie)
- 1994: “Silk Stalkings” as Angel (2-part episode: “Natural Selection”)
- 1995: “Jake Lassiter: Justice on the Bayou” as Cindy (Movie)
- 1996: “The Cold Equations” as Marilyn ‘Lee’ Cross (Movie)
- 1996: “Party of Five” as Allison (Episode: “Poor Substitutes”)
- 1996: “NYPD Blue” as Lisa (Episode: “Burnin’ Love”)
- 1996: “Relativity” as Jennifer Lukens (7 episodes)
- 1997: “Desert’s Edge” as Mary (TV short)
- 1999: “The Wonder Cabinet” as Dr. Sarah Coleman (Pilot)
- 2000: “The Beat” as Elizabeth Waclawek (3 episodes)
- 2001: “Blonde” as Norma Jean Baker / Marilyn Monroe (Miniseries)
- 2001: “Going to California” as Penelope (Episode: “Hurricane Al: A Tale of Key Largo”)
- 2002: “Glory Days” as Ellie Sparks (9 episodes)
- 2002–2009: “Without a Trace” as Samantha Spade (Lead role – 160 episodes)
- 2004: “Raising Waylon” as Julia Bellows (Special)
- 2005: “Murder in the Hamptons” as Generosa Rand (Movie)
- 2005: “Snow Wonder” as Paula (Movie)
- 2010: “True Blue” as Katherine Miller (Pilot)
- 2010: “Lying to Be Perfect” as Nola Devlin/Belinda Apple (Movie)
- 2011: “Magic Beyond Words” as J. K. Rowling (Movie)
- 2011–2016: “Unforgettable” as Carrie Wells (Lead role – 61 episodes)
- 2015: “Signed, Sealed, Delivered from Paris, With Love” as Holly O’Toole (Movie)
- 2017: “A Surrogate’s Nightmare” as Angela (Movie)
- 2019: “Reef Break” as Cat Chambers (Lead role)